Saturday, February 27, 2010

Books 4 and 5

Book 4 - The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I once read where Stephenie described this book as science fiction for people who don't necessarily like the genre...she was absolutely right. I, however, love SciFi and I adored this book too. My husband probably wouldn't as he expects his SciFi to be techical and full of tech words that are difficult for some others to understand or imagine. All in all, it was a great SciFi book without all the 'classical' jargon which made it an easy read with a great story line.

Book 5 - Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente

Some of the first 'fantasy' books I read were The Odyssey and The Divine Comedy. I was young and had trouble understanding the overly descriptive text, but I powered through and walked away with my mind open and aware of something new and amazing. This books is now part of that group.
In the beginning it was a bit difficult for me as I have not read books like this in quite some time, usually sticking to things that require very little thought on my part; books for sheer enjoyment of the story. This requires thought and solitude from outside distractions...but by the last page you will feel as though you've experienced a world, scary at times, beautiful mostly...a world that you are not sure you'd ever want to visit but glad it was put into words on a page in a book.

The theme is adult by nature, keep that in mind...the only way to the new world is through intercourse...or is it?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment